years after the present church was
built, a ring of six bells was installed in 1867 by John
Taylor and Company of Loughborough. The bells were removed
in 1922, recast and re-hung the following year. In 1949 two
additional bells were added and in 1977 the existing -
rather rickety - stairs leading up to the belfry were
demolished and a new entrance to the ringing chamber was
formed leading out of the newly installed gallery. The
weight of the tenor bell is 12 cwt.
Some bells have inscriptions
Bell 1 "The Ringer Bell 1949"
Bell 2 "William Smith
Bell 5 "Prosperity to our
Bell 6 "William Baker Churchwarden"
Bell 7 "Charles Smith incumbent
Bell 8 The tenor bell "This peal of
bells was procured chiefly by the exertions of Matilda
Wainright and Jane Flint"
Inside the church at
the west end there is a small bell that used to hang in the
chamber on Queens Road School. This dates from 1907 and was
repositioned in the church in 1984.
The bellringing team
is small but dedicated. We do not aspire to complicated
method ringing but do enjoy ringing a few methods well and
also the simpler change ringing. We do aspire to ringing for
Sunday services, weddings and special occasions. The team
would be greatly improved if it was larger to enable us to
improve the standard and variety of our ringing. So if you
are a ringer, have been a ringer, or just would like to
learn do come and join us. We practise every Friday evening
at 7.30pm and ring for Sunday service at 9.30am. Please
contact Bob Burfitt on 01298 22974 for further information.