The St Peter's Choir
The Choir has 18 regular members and
several associates. The regular members support worship at
the Sunday morning Sung Eucharist services and other special
services throughout the year. Many associate members join
for special occasions such as weddings, funerals, memorial
services and Christmas Carols. The Sunday School children
also practise their own songs and often come to sing with
the choir at Family Services.
The Choir practises on Monday evenings
at 6.00pm in the Church. It sings in four part harmony
guided by Choir Director, Frances Brindley. They would love
to have more altos, tenors and basses and sopranos are
always welcome too! An ability to read English is essential:
an ability to read music is not! Just talk to Frances after
a service if you would like to get involved. Robes are
provided and maintained by wardrobe mistress Margaret Booth
who does a superb job.
The Choir is also supported by a
wonderful organist, Andrew Cummings and by Frances Brindley
who helps with practises.
As well as regular worship the Choir
does hold concerts during the year, mainly for charity. The
members also make an annual trip at Christmas to two local
homes for senior members of the community to sing carols and
other Christmas songs. For Buxton Churches Together events
it is joined by singers from other local choirs who also
visit St Peter's to support with other special occasions.
St Peter's Choir is a friendly and
socially active group. The members support each other in all
things and are always there for one another in times of
trouble or stress.
February 2013: The
Choir, Clergy and PCC of St Peter's would like to
publicly recognise the contribution made by the late
Irene Salt to the life of St Peter’s Choir, whose
involvement included piano accompaniment during
practices and other assistance in concerts. She will
be sadly missed.
Well done, good
and faithful servant (Matthew 25.21)
at St Peter’s dates back to 1893.
It was installed by Peter
Conacher & Co. of Huddersfield at
a cost of £350 and was originally located at the back of
church on the north wall (close to where the font is today).
In 1902 the
organ was moved to its present location when the church
extension providing transepts, chancel, vestry, organ
chamber and porch was completed. It has remained largely
unchanged since although has undergone a number of
refurbishments. Following an overhaul in 1938 the organ was
rededicated in a service at which the well known organist of
Harry Goss-Custard, Mus.Bac, F.R.C.O. gave a recital.
In 1951 the organ was electrified and in 1969 the brown
varnished organ fascia was painted white, gold and blue.
This was removed during it's most recent full
restoration in 1994 which
was completed by Sixsmith’s Organ Builders of Mossley at a
cost of £24,000.
St Peter’s has had at least two
The first was made by Messrs Wheildon & Roberts of
Manchester and was installed in 1861 and subsequently moved
to North Road School in 1882. The second, a Jardine & Co
(Manchester) organ was loaned to the church by former
Fairfield resident Thomas Gocher and was located in the